Why You Should Say Yes to CVHHH’s Town Funding Request

Francis McFaun, known as Topper, pictured, went from working in a mattress factory in Cambridge, MA, to Vermont’s Office of Economic Opportunity, to the Barre Town Select Board, to the Vermont Legislature, where he’s served as a Representative from Barre Town since 2005. In 2017, Topper joined CVHHH’s Board of Directors, where he’s focused his efforts on town funding.

“It’s a natural fit for me,” he says. “When CVHHH gets a referral, they go and take care of the person, no questions asked.” In return, he says, towns and cities should make a fair contribution to the agency. “You never know when someone in your community is going to need help.”

What is Town Funding? You may be wondering what we mean when we say town funding. Every year, CVHHH requests money from each of the 23 communities we serve. As a mission-driven organization, we care for every central Vermonter who needs it, regardless of a person’s ability to pay. This means that we often provide care for people who are uninsured, underinsured, and/or otherwise unable to pay. Annually, we give about $600,000 worth of care for which we are not reimbursed by Medicare, Medicaid, or private insurers. Town funding is used to support programs and operations across central Vermont and to help us to make up the difference in the value of the care we provide and what we are reimbursed.

It is critical that we continue–through care, education, and support–to give central Vermonters the tools to manage their conditions and maintain their independence. Meeting the evolving needs of the residents of the communities we serve keeps our communities intact. It means that people can stay connected to their family, friends, and neighbors and stay out of the hospital or a facility and in their own homes for as long as possible.

For questions about Town Funding, contact Kim Farnum, Director of Community Relations & Development, via email or at 224-2234.