Memory impairment, or dementia related diseases, affect more than four million adults in the US. Individuals diagnosed with this type of illness can successfully live at home with the right care and support.
We can work with you to develop a care plan to address physical symptoms and behavioral changes. We also recognize the importance of the family caregiver and can recommend resources and community-based services that support families coping with dementia.
When Dementia Care is Right for You
Dementia related illnesses typically progress over a period of several years. This makes it difficult to identify when it is time to seek additional help or support with care. Concern about your, or a family member’s, safety is often a good trigger to contact CVHHH to begin discussing care options.
Some common situations or health conditions that can be addressed through our skilled home health team include:
- Inability to complete morning or evening routines
- Difficulty eating or swallowing
- Challenges with walking or moving around the house
Services for Persons with Memory Impairment
Home health services vary depending on the specific condition or progression of your illness. Our services may include support from professional caregivers, who can help you maintain your daily routine, provide socialization, companionship and valuable respite time for family caregivers.
Services ordered from your physician and provided by our home health team may also include:
- Understanding and following prescribed protocols, including taking medications, therapeutic exercise and adhering to a modified diet
- Home safety assessment to identify and remove risks for falls. In specific cases, this can include creating visual cues to reduce confusion
- Learning how to cope more effectively with memory impairment and its emotional challenges
Frequently Asked Questions
Who provides the care?
When is this care available?
How do I access these services?
Have questions about dementia care?
Call Kim LaGue, PT, Chief Operations Officer, or use the contact form to the upper right.802-224-2269