Face to Face documentation requirements for Medicare coverage of home health services —
- Upon referral, CVHHH’s Intake Department will request a copy of the physician’s F2F encounter with the patient.
- Physician records must contain details supporting Medicare coverage of home health services (including that patient is homebound and requires skilled need (see below for more details).
- If additional supporting details are needed to complete the physician’s F2F encounter, CVHHH will send a F2F form generated from our own electronic records.
- The form will include excerpts from the CVHHH clinician’s documentation of the initial assessment.
- This form must be completed and signed by the physician and returned to CVHHH.
- REQUIRED by CMS: The physician must incorporate a copy of this F2F form into the physician record as evidence of the need for home health services.
You may download a summary of these changes here.
If you have any questions about Face to Face documentation, contact Kim LaGue, PT, Chief Operations Officer, at 802-224-2259.
HOMEBOUND Status – Please describe prescribed activity limits, signs of activity intolerance, need for assistance or an assistive device.
- “S/P TKR; currently walker-dependent with painful ambulation.”
- “Weak & deconditioned – unable to walk across the room without needing to rest.”
- “Minimal weight bearing on L foot; restrictions on walking to promote wound healing.”
- “Patient on bed to chair activities only.”
- “Short of breath with talking and with ambulation of short distances.”
- “Requires a walker; unable to safely negotiate uneven surfaces & stairs without assistance.”
SKILLED NEEDS – Please describe the need for interventions that must be either performed or supervised by a licensed professional.
- “Nurse needed to assess for s/s of adverse events from new Coumadin regimen.”
- “Skilled Nursing needed for wound care, assess for s/s of infection, and education on
wound care for family to perform dressing changes.”
- “CHF, weakness, 3+ edema bilateral legs, needs nurse for cardiac assessment,
assessment for s/s of disease, & patient education.”
- “Lung sounds coarse throughout. COPD patient finished antibiotic therapy today for pneumonia. Nurse to assess respiratory status for s/s recurring infection/changes in respiratory status.”
- “Wound care to left great toe. Patient at risk due to diabetic status. Skilled nurse visits to
perform wound care & assess wound status.”
- “S/P right THR. Needs Physical Therapy to restore ability to walk without assistance and RN for pain management”