We are looking for hospice volunteers to provide support to patients on hospice care at CVHHH.
Hospice volunteers are an integral part of hospice at CVHHH. By sitting with patients in the home (and nursing facilities), providing companionship, running errands (including picking up and delivering flowers for hospice staff to bring to patients) or relieving caregivers, volunteers make it possible for CVHHH to deliver the compassionate, holistic care that is the hallmark of our hospice program. Experience with hospice or health care is not required. All that’s needed is a caring, can-do attitude and willingness to help make a difference for someone nearing the end of life.
What will I do as a hospice volunteer?
Hospice volunteers provide family support before and after a patient’s death. They may do many things to add to the comfort and quality of life for patients and families. Typical activities include (but are not limited to):
- Regularly scheduled patient companionship/relief for family
- Escorting and transporting patients and family members to necessary appointments and social outings, errands
- Assistance with light homemaking tasks when fatigue or finances make this difficult
- Staying with patient to allow the primary caregiver to sleep or have social break
- Performing special skills such as crafts, playing board or card games, hairdressing
- Preparing light meals
- Sitting vigil with dying patients
- Gardening, snow shoveling, stacking wood
- Pet care
- Visiting with bereaved family member when a volunteer/patient relationship has developed during the patients illness